Re: Concurrency bug in UPDATE of partition-key

From: Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Concurrency bug in UPDATE of partition-key
Date: 2018-07-02 11:36:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 30 June 2018 at 19:20, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 11:22 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> I was a bit surprised by the new epqslot output argument being added,
>> and now I think I know why: we already have es_trig_tuple_slot, so
>> shouldn't we be using that here instead? Seems like it'd all be simpler ...

es_trig_tuple_slot is already allocated in ExecInitModifyTable(). And
the slot returned by EvalPlanQual is a separately allocated tuple
slot. I didn't get how we can assign the epqslot to
estate->es_trig_tuple_slot. That would mean throwing away the already
allocated es_trig_tuple_slot. I believe, the es_trig_tuple_slot
variable is not used for assigning already allocated slots to it.

> Hmm, maybe, but not sure if it will be simpler. The point is that we
> don't need to always return the epqslot, it will only be returned for
> the special case, so you might need to use an additional boolean
> variable to indicate when to fill the epqslot or someway indicate the
> same via es_trig_tuple_slot. I think even if we somehow do that, we
> need to do something additional like taking tuple from epqslot and
> store it in es_trig_tuple_slot as I am not sure if we can directly
> assign the slot returned by EvalPlanQual to es_trig_tuple_slot.

Right, I think making use of es_trig_tuple_slot will cause redundancy
in our case, because epqslot is a separately allocated slot; so it
makes sense to pass it back separately.

--
Thanks,
-Amit Khandekar