Locale Issue

From: Don Parris <parrisdc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Locale Issue
Date: 2013-08-21 09:55:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

When I install the Kubuntu (13.04) postgresql (9.1) packages, the default
template1 encoding turns out to be ASCII, which is not really what I want.
My OS locale command reveals everything to be en_US.UTF-8, except for
LC_ALL, which is left open.

I am guessing that my best bet is to change the locale settings of my OS in
order to get postgresql server to use a UTF-8 locale setting from the
system. But which setting should I change?

I did run pg_dropcluster, pg_createcluster (setting locale to C.UTF8) - and
that seemed to work, except that I could not thereafter make remote
connections (despite resetting the hba and postgres.conf files as they
should be).

Thanks!
Don
--
D.C. Parris, FMP, Linux+, ESL Certificate
Minister, Security/FM Coordinator, Free Software Advocate