Re: autonomous transactions

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: autonomous transactions
Date: 2016-10-11 19:54:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 10:06 AM, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 10/10/16 16:44, Merlin Moncure wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm happy to also invoke it via an alternate mechanism or API, so that
>>> it can continue to be used even if the above mechanism changes.
>>>
>>> We have no need to wait for the perfect solution, even assuming we
>>> would ever agree that just one exists.
>>
>> -1 on implementing both autonomous and background transactions. This
>> will confuse everyone.
>
> I personally care much more about having background transactions than
> autonomous ones (as I only ever had use-cases for the background ones)
> so don't agree there.

All right. But would you agree then that AT should at least emulate
competing implementations? A major advantage of bgworkers is possibly
supporting concurrent activity and maybe the syntax could be more
directed to possibly moving in that direction other than copying
oracle style (PRAGMA etc), particularly if the locking rules are
substantially different.

merlin