Re: PoC plpgsql - possibility to force custom or generic plan

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PoC plpgsql - possibility to force custom or generic plan
Date: 2017-09-19 18:49:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 1:37 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 12:45 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>> You can already set a GUC with function scope. I'm not getting your
>>> point.
>>
>> yes, it is true. But implementation of #option is limited to PLpgSQL - so
>> there is not any too much questions - GUC is global - there is lot of
>> points:
>>
>> * what is correct impact on PREPARE
>> * what is correct impact on EXECUTE
>> * what should be done if this GUC is changed ..
>
> For better or for worse, as a project we've settled on GUCs as a way
> to control behavior. I think it makes more sense to try to apply that
> option to new behaviors we want to control than to invent some new
> system.

This seems very sensible.

We also have infrastructure at the SQL level (SET) to manage the GUC.
Tom upthread (for pretty good reasons) extending SET to pl/pgsql
specific scoping but TBH I'm struggling as to why we need to implement
new syntax for this; the only thing missing is being able to scope SET
statements to a code block FWICT.

merlin