Re: Re: Add minor version to v3 protocol to allow changes without breaking backwards compatibility

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Florian Weimer <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>, Ants Aasma <ants(dot)aasma(at)eesti(dot)ee>, Mikko Tiihonen <mikko(dot)tiihonen(at)nitorcreations(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Add minor version to v3 protocol to allow changes without breaking backwards compatibility
Date: 2012-01-23 21:54:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Not being responsible from the maintenance of any PostgreSQL drivers
> whatsoever, I don't have a strong feeling about which of these is the
> case, and I'd like us to hear from the people who do.

I'm just gonna come right out and say that GUC-based solutions are not
the way -- bytea encoding change is a perfect example of that.
IMSNHO, there's only two plausible paths ahead:

1) document the binary formats and continue with 'go at your own risk'
2) full auto-negotiation for all wire formats (text and binary).

merlin