Re: Wanna help PostgreSQL

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Zhe-Wei Jiang <jrreinhardt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Wanna help PostgreSQL
Date: 2014-05-14 15:49:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 9:44 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> The reason that that project has gone untouched for upwards of ten years
> is that it's not just a large coding project, but involves a lot of
> complex API design with uncertain goals. It's not very clear what
> features people would want from a "pg_dump library", though one capability
> that gets mentioned often is the ability to extract the SQL definition
> for a single object.

Personally I'd prefer the creation of definitional SQL be moved out of
pg_dump and into the database proper via something like
'pg_sql_definition(oid)' or something like that. There are lot of
reasons applications (especially administrative ones like pgadmin and
psql but also end user applications in some cases) would want to do
that and forcing everything through pg_dump et al is awkward. The
less magic in the external applications the better.

merlin