Re: [GENERAL] Altering a table with a rowtype column

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Mike Blackwell <mike(dot)blackwell(at)rrd(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Altering a table with a rowtype column
Date: 2012-03-08 17:08:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On a practical level, the error blocks nothing -- you can bypass it
> trivially.   It's just an annoyance that prevents things that users
> would like to be able to do with table row types.  So I'd argue to
> remove the check, although I can kinda see the argument that it's not
> a bug unless the check was recently introduced so that it broke older
> code.

The behavior hasn't changed since at least as far back as 8.1, so
you're correct (once again) -- not a bug. I'm really surprised I
haven't already bumped into this. I usually don't mix
tables-as-storage with tables-as-composites though.

Mike, on 9.1, you'll probably get more mileage out of using the hstore
type for row storage if you want to do auditing in that style.

merlin