Re: Procedural Languages

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John Townsend <jtownsend(at)advancedformulas(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Procedural Languages
Date: 2012-05-31 15:07:19
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 9:36 AM, John Townsend
<jtownsend(at)advancedformulas(dot)com> wrote:
> There are least 10 Procedural Languages available for PostGreSQL. The one
> that comes with the installation is PL/pgSQL.
>
> Which ones do you use and why?

pl/pgsql is unique in that it has 'first class queries' -- sql is
intermixed freely with procedural code and it uses the same type
system and error handling mechanisms (although the syntax is
different). this directly translates into direct, impactful coding
as long as you are not trying to do things that are awkward for the
language like heavy computation or string processing.

the other languages have various pros and cons but at the end are
typically going to be judged by your familiarity with the particular
language. I have a special fondness for pl/sh for example.

merlin