Re: Autonomous Transaction is back

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rajeev rastogi <rajeev(dot)rastogi(at)huawei(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Autonomous Transaction is back
Date: 2015-08-03 13:09:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 11:37 PM, Rajeev rastogi
<rajeev(dot)rastogi(at)huawei(dot)com> wrote:
> On 31 July 2015 23:10, Robert Haas Wrote:
>>I think we're going entirely down the wrong path here. Why is it ever useful for a backend's lock requests to conflict with themselves, even with autonomous transactions? That seems like an artifact of somebody else's implementation that we should be happy we don't need to copy.
>
> IMHO, since most of the locking are managed at transaction level not backend level and we consider main & autonomous transaction to be independent transaction, then practically they may conflict right.
> It is also right as you said that there is no as such useful use-cases where autonomous transaction conflicts with main (parent) transaction. But we cannot take it for granted as user might make a mistake. So at-least we should have some mechanism to handle this rare case, for which as of now I think throwing error from autonomous transaction as one of the solution. Once error thrown from autonomous transaction, main transaction may continue as it is (or abort main transaction also??).

hm. OK, what's the behavior of:

BEGIN
UPDATE foo SET x = x + 1 WHERE foo_id = 1;

BEGIN WITH AUTONOMOUS TRANSACTION
UPDATE foo SET x = x + 1 WHERE foo_id = 1;
END;

RAISE EXCEPTION ...;
EXCEPTION ...

END;

Also,
*) What do the other candidate implementations do? IMO, compatibility
should be the underlying design principle.

*) What will the "SQL only" feature look like?

*) Is the SPI interface going to be extended to expose AT?

merlin