Re: emergency outage requiring database restart

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: emergency outage requiring database restart
Date: 2016-10-17 18:39:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> Today I had an emergency production outage on a server.
>> Adding all this up it smells like processes were getting stuck on a spinlock.
>
> Maybe. If it happens again, probably the most useful debug data would
> be stack traces from some of the busy processes.

Another odd datapoint on this server. Things were running pretty good
but an application crashed on a missing view. Trying to recreate the
view, I got:

CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW vw_ApartmentQueueLastGood AS
SELECT ...

ERROR: type "vw_apartmentqueuelastgood" already exists
HINT: A relation has an associated type of the same name, so you must
use a name that doesn't conflict with any existing type.

...which was pretty strange. I had to manually delete the pg_type
record in order to create the view. I'm getting more reports of
'could not open relation with oid=X' errors so I could be facing data
corruption :(.

merlin