Simplify some logical replication worker type checking

From: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Simplify some logical replication worker type checking
Date: 2023-08-01 01:35:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi hackers,

BACKGROUND

There are 3 different types of logical replication workers.
1. apply leader workers
2. parallel apply workers
3. tablesync workers

And there are a number of places where the current worker type is
checked using the am_<worker-type> inline functions.

PROBLEM / SOLUTION

During recent reviews, I noticed some of these conditions are a bit unusual.

======
worker.c

1. apply_worker_exit

/*
* Reset the last-start time for this apply worker so that the launcher
* will restart it without waiting for wal_retrieve_retry_interval if the
* subscription is still active, and so that we won't leak that hash table
* entry if it isn't.
*/
if (!am_tablesync_worker())
ApplyLauncherForgetWorkerStartTime(MyLogicalRepWorker->subid);

~

In this case, it cannot be a parallel apply worker (there is a check
prior), so IMO it is better to simplify the condition here to below.
This also makes the code consistent with all the subsequent
suggestions in this post.

if (am_apply_leader_worker())
ApplyLauncherForgetWorkerStartTime(MyLogicalRepWorker->subid);

~~~

2. maybe_reread_subscription

/* Ensure we remove no-longer-useful entry for worker's start time */
if (!am_tablesync_worker() && !am_parallel_apply_worker())
ApplyLauncherForgetWorkerStartTime(MyLogicalRepWorker->subid);
proc_exit(0);

~

Should simplify the above condition to say:
if (!am_leader_apply_worker())

~~~

3. InitializeApplyWorker

/* Ensure we remove no-longer-useful entry for worker's start time */
if (!am_tablesync_worker() && !am_parallel_apply_worker())
ApplyLauncherForgetWorkerStartTime(MyLogicalRepWorker->subid);
proc_exit(0);

~

Ditto. Should simplify the above condition to say:
if (!am_leader_apply_worker())

~~~

4. DisableSubscriptionAndExit

/* Ensure we remove no-longer-useful entry for worker's start time */
if (!am_tablesync_worker() && !am_parallel_apply_worker())
ApplyLauncherForgetWorkerStartTime(MyLogicalRepWorker->subid);

~

Ditto. Should simplify the above condition to say:
if (!am_leader_apply_worker())

------

PSA a small patch making those above-suggested changes. The 'make
check' and TAP subscription tests are all passing OK.

-------
Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.
Fujitsu Australia

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-Simplify-worker-type-checks.patch application/octet-stream 1.9 KB