Re: create subscription - improved warning message

From: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2022-10-18 09:40:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks for the feedback.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 10:14 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 7:17 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >

> > Updated as sugggested.
> >

> + <para>
> + Sometimes, either by choice (e.g. <literal>create_slot = false</literal>),
> + or by necessity (e.g. <literal>connect = false</literal>), the remote
> + replication slot is not created automatically during
> + <literal>CREATE SUBSCRIPTION</literal>. In these cases the user will have
> + to create the slot manually before the subscription can be activated.
> + </para>
>
> This part looks a bit odd when in the previous section we have
> explained the same thing in different words. I think it may be better
> if we start with something like: "As mentioned in the previous
> section, there are cases where we need to create the slot manually
> before the subscription can be activated.". I think you can even
> combine the next para in the patch with this one.

Modified the text and combined the paragraphs as suggested.

> Also, it looks odd that the patch uses examples to demonstrate how to
> manually create a slot, and then we have a separate section whose
> title is Examples. I am not sure what is the best way to arrange docs
> here but maybe we can consider renaming the Examples section to
> something more specific.

Renamed the examples sections to make their purpose clearer.

~~~

PSA patch v6 with the above changes + one correction from Shi-san [1]

------
[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/OSZPR01MB631051BA9AAA728CAA8CBD88FD299%40OSZPR01MB6310.jpnprd01.prod.outlook.com

Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.
Fujitsu Australia

Attachment Content-Type Size
v6-0001-create-subscriptipon-pgdocs-for-deferred-slot-cre.patch application/octet-stream 10.2 KB