Re: create subscription - improved warning message

From: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2022-10-18 09:44:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 7:11 PM shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com
<shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> Thanks for your patch. Here are some comments.
>
> In Example 2, the returned slot_name should be "myslot".
>
> +test_pub=# SELECT * FROM pg_create_logical_replication_slot('myslot', 'pgoutput');
> + slot_name | lsn
> +-----------+-----------
> + sub1 | 0/19059A0
> +(1 row)

Oops. Sorry for my cut/paste error. Fixed in patch v6.

> Besides, I am thinking is it possible to slightly simplify the example. For
> example, merge example 1 and 2, keep the steps of example 2 and in the step of
> creating slot, mention what should we do if slot_name is not specified when
> creating subscription.

Sure, it might be a bit shorter to combine the examples, but I thought
it’s just simpler not to do it that way because the combined example
will then need additional bullets/notes to say – “if there is no
slot_name do this…” and “if there is a slot_name do that…”. It’s
really only the activation part which is identical for both.

-----
Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.
Fujitsu Australia