Re: pub/sub - specifying optional parameters without values.

From: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Zheng Li <zhengli10(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pub/sub - specifying optional parameters without values.
Date: 2023-01-30 22:36:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 4:00 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > The v3 patch LGTM (just for the logical replication commands).
>
> Pushed then.

Thanks for pushing the v3 patch.

I'd forgotten about the 'streaming' option -- AFAIK this was
previously a boolean parameter and so its [= value] part can also be
omitted. However, in PG16 streaming became an enum type
(on/off/parallel), and the value can still be omitted but that is not
really being covered by the new generic text note about booleans added
by yesterday's patch.

e.g. The enum 'streaming' value part can still be omitted.
test_sub=# create subscription sub1 connection 'host=localhost
dbname=test_pub' publication pub1 with (streaming);

Perhaps a small top-up patch to CREATE SUBSCRIPTION is needed to
describe this special case?

PSA.

(I thought mentioning this special streaming case again for ALTER
SUBSCRIPTION might be overkill)

------
Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.
Fujitsu Australia

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-Added-note-for-streaming-parameter-with-value-par.patch application/octet-stream 1.2 KB