Re: Added schema level support for publication.

From: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, "tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>, "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Added schema level support for publication.
Date: 2021-08-17 01:09:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 11:31 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > Then the question from Peter E. [2] "Why can't I have a publication
> > that publishes tables t1, t2, t3, *and* schemas s1, s2, s3." would
> > have an intuitive solution like:
>
> > CREATE PUBLICATION pub1
> > FOR TABLE t1,t2,t3 AND
> > FOR ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA s1,s2,s3;
>
> That seems a bit awkward, since the existing precedent is
> to use commas. We shouldn't need more than one FOR noise-word,
> either. So I was imagining syntax more like, say,

When I wrote that "AND" suggestion I had in mind that commas may get
weird if there were objects with keyword names. e.g. if there was a
schema called SEQUENCE and a SEQUENCE called SEQUENCE then this will
be allowed.

CREATE PUBLICATION pub1 FOR ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA SEQUENCE, SEQUENCE SEQUENCE;

But probably I was just overthinking it.

> CREATE PUBLICATION pub1 FOR
> TABLE t1,t2,t3, ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA s1,s2,
> SEQUENCE seq1,seq2, ALL SEQUENCES IN SCHEMA s3,s4;
>
> Abstractly it'd be
>
> createpub := CREATE PUBLICATION pubname FOR cpitem [, ... ] [ WITH ... ]
>
> cpitem := ALL TABLES |
> TABLE name |
> ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA name |
> ALL SEQUENCES |
> SEQUENCE name |
> ALL SEQUENCES IN SCHEMA name |
> name
>
> The grammar output would need some post-analysis to attribute the
> right type to bare "name" items, but that doesn't seem difficult.

That last bare "name" cpitem. looks like it would permit the following syntax:

CREATE PUBLICATION pub FOR a,b,c;

Was that intentional?

------
Kind Regards,