Re: Single transaction in the tablesync worker?

From: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Single transaction in the tablesync worker?
Date: 2021-02-08 23:38:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 11:42 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 2:38 PM Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Feb 6, 2021 at 2:10 AM Petr Jelinek
> > <petr(dot)jelinek(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Some minor comments about code:

> > > I wonder if we need to add error code to the WalRcvExecResult and check
> > > for the appropriate ones here. Because this can for example return error
> > > because of timeout, not because slot is missing. Not sure if it matters
> > > for current callers though (but then maybe don't call the param
> > > missign_ok?).
> >
> > You are right. The way we are using this function has evolved beyond
> > the original intention.
> > Probably renaming the param to something like "error_ok" would be more
> > appropriate now.
> >

> PSA a patch (apply on top of V28) to change the misleading param name.

PSA an alternative patch. This one adds a new member to
WalRcvExecResult and so is able to detect the "slot does not exist"
error. This patch also applies on top of V28, if you want it.

------
Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.
Fujitsu Australia

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-ReplicationSlotDropAtPubNode-detect-slot-does-not.patch application/octet-stream 2.8 KB