Re: PG DOCS - logical replication filtering

From: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG DOCS - logical replication filtering
Date: 2022-03-04 03:47:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 3, 2022 at 2:15 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 8:00 PM Peter Eisentraut
> <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On 02.03.22 05:47, Peter Smith wrote:
> > > This patch introduces a new "Filtering" page to give a common place
> > > where all kinds of logical replication filtering can be described.
> > > (e.g. It is envisaged that a "Column Filters" section can be added
> > > sometime in the future).
> >
> > The pending feature to select a subset of table columns to replicate is
> > not "column filtering". The thread might still be still called that,
> > but we have changed the patch to not use that terminology.
> >
> > Filtering is a dynamic action based on actual values. The row filtering
> > feature does that. The column list feature is a static DDL-time
> > configuration. It is no more filtering than specifying a list of tables
> > in a publication is table filtering.
> >
> > So please consider organizing the documentation differently to not
> > create this confusion.
> >

> +1. I think Row Filters can directly be a section just before
> Conflicts on the logical replication page [1].

Done as suggested in v3. [1]

> Some comments on the patch:
> 1. I think we can extend/add the example to have filters on more than
> one table. This has been noticed multiple times during development
> that people are not very clear on it.

Added example in v3 [1]

> 2. I think we can add an example or two for row filters actions (like
> Insert, Update).

Added examples of INSERT and UPDATE in v3 [1]

> 3.
> Publications can choose to limit the changes they produce to
> similar to how triggers are fired by
> - particular event types. By default, all operation types are replicated.
> + <quote>operation filters</quote>.
>
> By this, one can imply that row filters are used for Truncate as well
> but that is not true. I know that that patch later specifies that "Row
> filters have no effect for <command>TRUNCATE</command> commands." but
> the above modification is not very clear.

Fixed in v3 [1]. Restored original text, and added a note about row filters.

------
[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAHut%2BPtwp0FscVpmMjHLV6_%3DSHR5ndwvWdX_gb41_3H2UA9ecA%40mail.gmail.com

Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.