Re: proposal - function string_to_table

From: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "movead(dot)li(at)highgo(dot)ca" <movead(dot)li(at)highgo(dot)ca>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal - function string_to_table
Date: 2020-08-21 07:43:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 5:21 AM Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> new patch attached

Thanks for taking some of my previous review comments.

I have re-checked the string_to_table_20200820.patch.

Below are some remaining questions/comments:

====

COMMENT (help text)

+ Splits the <parameter>string</parameter> at occurrences
+ of <parameter>delimiter</parameter> and forms the remaining data
+ into a <type>text</type> tavke.

What did you mean by "remaining" in that description?
It gets a bit strange thinking about remaining NULLs, or remaining
empty strings.

Why not just say "... and forms the data into a <type>text</type> table."

---

+ Splits the <parameter>string</parameter> at occurrences
+ of <parameter>delimiter</parameter> and forms the remaining data
+ into a <type>text</type> tavke.

Typo: "tavke." -> "table."

====

COMMENT (help text reference to regexp_split_to_table)

+ input <parameter>string</parameter> can be done by function
+ <function>regexp_split_to_table</function> (see <xref
linkend="functions-posix-regexp"/>).
+ </para>

In the previous review I suggested adding a reference to the
regexp_split_to_table function.
A hyperlink would be a bonus, but maybe it is not possible.

The hyperlink added in the latest patch is to page for POSIX Regular
Expressions, which doesn't seem appropriate.

====

QUESTION (test cases)

Thanks for merging lots of my additional test cases!

Actually, the previous PDF I sent was 2 pages long but you only merged
the tests of page 1.
I wondered was it accidental to omit all those 2nd page tests?

====

QUESTION (function name?)

I noticed that ALL current string functions that use delimiters have
the word "split" in their name.

e.g.
* regexp_split_to_array
* regexp_split_to_table
* split_part

But "string_to_table" is not following this pattern.

Maybe a different choice of function name would be more consistent
with what is already there?
e.g. split_to_table, string_split_to_table, etc.

====

Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.
Fujitsu Australia