How safe is pg_basebackup + continuous archiving?

From: Kaixi Luo <kaixiluo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How safe is pg_basebackup + continuous archiving?
Date: 2016-06-29 14:51:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

We use PostgreSQL at work and we do daily backups with pg_dump. After that
we pg_restore the dump and check the database that there isn't any data
corruption. As the database grows, the whole pg_dump / pg_restore cycle
time is quickly approaching 24h, so we need to change strategies.

We've thought about using pg_basebackup + continuous archiving as an
alternative backup process, but I have doubts regarding the safety of such
procedure. As far as I know, pg_basebackup is done via rsync (and we also
archive wals using rsync), so if by any chance disk corruption occurs on
the master server, the corruption would be carried over to our backup
server.

How can we check for backup corruption in this case? Thanks you very much.

Kaixi Luo