Adding 'serial' to existing column

From: Robert Lakes <robertl(at)propaas(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Adding 'serial' to existing column
Date: 2017-11-03 20:38:04
Lists: pgsql-general

I am new to Postgres and I am trying to build this SQL statement in my SQL
script:
ALTER TABLE listings_cdc ALTER COLUMN table_id SET DEFAULT
nextval('tab_id_seq');

I am trying to build the above-stated command as a dynamic SQL statement:
EXECUTE 'ALTER TABLE listings_cdc ALTER COLUMN table_id SET DEFAULT
nextval('||quote_ident(tab_id_seq)||')';

I've received an error when running the script this above-stated command:
ERROR: column "tab_id_seq" does not exist
LINE 1: ...OLUMN table_id SET DEFAULT nextval('||quote_ident(tab_id_seq...

Need help on how to write the above-stated command as a dynamic SQL
statement.

In addition, do you know of a tutorial or a book that I can purchase that
teaches how to build dynamic SQL statements