Re: proposal: multiple psql option -c

From: Catalin Iacob <iacobcatalin(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Adam Brightwell <adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, dinesh kumar <dineshkumar02(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: multiple psql option -c
Date: 2015-12-04 16:08:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 3:47 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> For the most part, the cleanups in this version are just cosmetic: I
> fixed some whitespace damage, and reverted some needless changes to
> the psql references page that were whitespace-only adjustments. In a
> few places, I tweaked documentation or comment language.

Sorry for the docs whitespace-only changes, I did that.

I realized before the submission I made the diff bigger than it needed
to be, but that's because I used M-q in Emacs to break the lines I did
change and that reformatted the whole paragraph including some
unchanged lines. Breaking all the lines by hand would be quite a job,
and any time you go back and tweak the wording or so you need to do it
again. So I just used M-q and sent the result of that.
Do you happen to know of a better way to do this? I do load
src/tools/editors/emacs.samples in my ~/.emacs but it seems the width
my Emacs chooses doesn't match the one already in the file.

The doc tweaks are good, they make the text more clear. I'm happy
that's all you found to improve: writing good docs is hard and the
Postgres docs are already good so it's not easy to change them, I had
the feeling I'll only make them worse and spent quite some time trying
not to do that.