Re: Can't find not null constraint, but \d+ shows that

From: Tender Wang <tndrwang(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can't find not null constraint, but \d+ shows that
Date: 2024-04-10 10:11:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com> 于2024年4月10日周三 17:34写道:

> another related bug, in master.
>
> drop table if exists notnull_tbl1;
> CREATE TABLE notnull_tbl1 (c0 int not null, c1 int);
> ALTER TABLE notnull_tbl1 ADD CONSTRAINT Q PRIMARY KEY(c0, c1);
> \d+ notnull_tbl1
> ALTER TABLE notnull_tbl1 ALTER c0 DROP NOT NULL;
> ALTER TABLE notnull_tbl1 ALTER c1 DROP NOT NULL;
>
> "ALTER TABLE notnull_tbl1 ALTER c0 DROP NOT NULL;"
> should fail?

Yeah, it should fail as before, because c0 is primary key.
In master, although c0's pg_attribute.attnotnull is still true, but its
not-null constraint has been deleted
in dropconstraint_internal().

If we drop column c1 after dropping c0 not null, the primary key will be
dropped indirectly.
And now you can see c0 is still not-null if you do \d+ notnull_tbl1. But it
will report error "not found not-null"
if you alter c0 drop not null.

postgres=# ALTER TABLE notnull_tbl1 ALTER c0 DROP NOT NULL;
ALTER TABLE
postgres=# \d+ notnull_tbl1
Table "public.notnull_tbl1"
Column | Type | Collation | Nullable | Default | Storage | Compression
| Stats target | Description
--------+---------+-----------+----------+---------+---------+-------------+--------------+-------------
c0 | integer | | not null | | plain |
| |
c1 | integer | | not null | | plain |
| |
"q" PRIMARY KEY, btree (c0, c1)
Access method: heap

postgres=# alter table notnull_tbl1 drop c1;
ALTER TABLE
postgres=# \d notnull_tbl1
Table "public.notnull_tbl1"
Column | Type | Collation | Nullable | Default
c0 | integer | | not null |

postgres=# alter table notnull_tbl1 alter c0 drop not null;
ERROR: could not find not-null constraint on column "c0", relation
"notnull_tbl1"

--
Tender Wang
OpenPie: https://en.openpie.com/