May meeting in two weeks

From: gabrielle <gorthx(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Postgresql PDX_Users <pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: May meeting in two weeks
Date: 2012-05-04 02:12:38
Lists: pdxpug

When: 7-9pm Thu May 17, 2012
Where: Iovation
Who: Ed Snajder
What: Replication Without Tears

Here's Ed's description of his talk:
"Database replication is a great way to tackle challenges with
scaling, concurrency, availability and redundancy. It is common to all
well-known database engines, and in Postgres, there are almost too
many choices. In this demo-driven presentation, I will review a few of
the options available for replication in PostgreSQL Systems. While the
concept of replication is really quite straightforward, it can be
unusually painful to configure and maintain. Furthermore, each
particular method of replication includes its own significant pros and
cons. My hope is that some of my discoveries will ease the pain and
reduce the tears of configuring and managing your own replicated
systems."

Ed Snajder is the Database Administrator at Jive Software, and has
been working with databases for over 10 years. His currently
responsibility is predominantly PostgreSQL systems administration,
though he still actively works through challenges with Oracle, SQL
Server and MySql. A native New Yorker, Ed moved to Portland in 2006
and had the opportunity to operate as the DBA for the Systems running
the NTIA Analog-to-digital Convertor Box Program
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coupon-eligible_converter_box). Outside
of technology, Ed enjoys music and sports appreciation, and recently
started a grass-roots effort to officially rename Beaverton to "The
Tron."

Our meeting will be held at Iovation, on the 32nd floor of the US
Bancorp Tower at 111 SW 5th (5th & Oak). It's right on the Green &
Yellow Max lines. Underground bike parking is available in the
parking garage; outdoors all around the block in the usual spots. No
bikes in the office, sorry!

Building security will close access to the floor at 7:30.

After-meeting beer location TBD. See you there!