Re: autovacuum locking question

From: Michael Lewis <mlewis(at)entrata(dot)com>
To: Mike Schanne <mschanne(at)kns(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: autovacuum locking question
Date: 2019-12-05 22:49:21
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 3:26 PM Mike Schanne <mschanne(at)kns(dot)com> wrote:

> I am concerned that if the autovacuum is constantly canceled, then the
> table never gets cleaned and its performance will continue to degrade over
> time. Is it expected for the vacuum to be canceled by an insert in this
> way?
>

> We are using postgres 9.6.10.

Have you checked when the table was last autovacuumed in
pg_stat_user_tables? If the autovacuum count is high and timestamp of last
run is relatively current, then no reason for concern as far as I can
figure.

Have you already configured (non-default values) for autovacuum options for
your system or this table?