Re: File based Incremental backup v8

From: Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Marco Nenciarini <marco(dot)nenciarini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: File based Incremental backup v8
Date: 2015-03-07 22:26:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Bruce,

> Desirability -> Design -> Implement -> Test -> Review -> Commit
>
> This patch has continued in development without getting agreement on
> its Desirability or Design, meaning we are going to continue going back
> to those points until there is agreement. Posting more versions of this
> patch is not going to change that.

Could you please elaborate that?

I actually think the approach that has been followed is what makes open
source and collaborative development work. The initial idea was based on
timestamp approach which, thanks to the input of several developers, led
Marco to develop LSN based checks and move forward the feature
implementation.

The numbers that Marco has posted clearly show that a lot of users will
benefit from this file-based approach for incremental backup through
pg_basebackup.

As far as I see it, the only missing bit is the pg_restorebackup tool which
is quite trivial - given the existing prototype in Python.

Thanks,
Gabriele