Re: Version question

From: Christopher BROWN <brown(at)reflexe(dot)fr>
Cc: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Version question
Date: 2016-03-14 14:32:42
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello,

I would recommend aligning with database versioning scheme (so 9.5.x) ; it
would have been clearer from the start if the version numbers had never
been close, but any change now seems arbitrary and confusing (even if I
prefer semantic versioning in general).

Regarding semantic versioning, the "major" component here is the JDBC API,
so you can probably disregard A.B -- as in 9.5 -- as a marker saying "we've
tried it with that version, and it works". Then, even if it's not fully
compliant with proper semantic versioning, use the C (of A.B.C) as a marker
for feature changes, and the trailing qualifier for patches.

For example:

9.4.C.D => any version tested with 9.4.x (backend)
9.5.C.D => tested with 9.5
9.5.1.000 => first build approved for 9.5 backend
9.5.2.000 => like 9.5.1.0 but with feature changes (new packaging, new
properties, new capabilities, etc)
9.5.1.001 => like 9.5.1.0 but with bugfixes (with no new features)

The prefixed zeros for "D" enable alphanumerical sorting (with OSGi Version
objects, for example), and I personally find it more usable (readable) than
20160314 for example (even if that sorts too ; it doesn't look like a
nightly snapshot tag). And I imagine there'll still be -jre6, -jre7, -jre8
variants to distinguish API target versions.

Hope that helps,
Christopher