Re: some review comments on logical rep code

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: some review comments on logical rep code
Date: 2017-04-20 16:30:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 12:05 PM, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 06:14:49AM +0000, Noah Misch wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 04:47:12AM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
>> > Though I've read only a part of the logical rep code yet, I'd like to
>> > share some (relatively minor) review comments that I got so far.
>> >
>> > In ApplyWorkerMain(), DatumGetInt32() should be used to get integer
>> > value from the argument, instead of DatumGetObjectId().
>> >
>> > No one resets on_commit_launcher_wakeup flag to false.
>> >
>> > ApplyLauncherWakeup() should be static function.
>> >
>> > Seems not only CREATE SUBSCRIPTION but also ALTER SUBSCRIPTION's
>> > subcommands (e.g., ENABLED one) should wake the launcher up on commit.
>> >
>> > Why is IsBackendPid() check necessary in ApplyLauncherWakeup()?
>> >
>> > Normal statements that the walsender for logical rep runs are logged
>> > by log_replication_commands. So if log_statement is also set,
>> > those commands are logged twice.
>> >
>> > LogicalRepCtx->launcher_pid isn't reset to 0 when the launcher emits
>> > an error. The callback function to reset it needs to be registered
>> > via on_shmem_exit().
>> >
>> > Typo: "an subscriber" should be "a subscriber" in some places.
>> >
>> > /* Get conninfo */
>> > datum = SysCacheGetAttr(SUBSCRIPTIONOID,
>> > tup,
>> > Anum_pg_subscription_subconninfo,
>> > &isnull);
>> > Assert(!isnull);
>> >
>> > This assertion makes me think that pg_subscription.subconnifo should
>> > have NOT NULL constraint. Also subslotname and subpublications
>> > should have NOT NULL constraint because of the same reason.
>> >
>> > SpinLockAcquire(&MyLogicalRepWorker->relmutex);
>> > MyLogicalRepWorker->relstate =
>> > GetSubscriptionRelState(MyLogicalRepWorker->subid,
>> > MyLogicalRepWorker->relid,
>> > &MyLogicalRepWorker->relstate_lsn,
>> > false);
>> > SpinLockRelease(&MyLogicalRepWorker->relmutex);
>> >
>> > Non-"short-term" function like GetSubscriptionRelState() should not
>> > be called while spinlock is being held.
>>
>> [Action required within three days. This is a generic notification.]
>>
>> The above-described topic is currently a PostgreSQL 10 open item. Peter,
>> since you committed the patch believed to have created it, you own this open
>> item. If some other commit is more relevant or if this does not belong as a
>> v10 open item, please let us know. Otherwise, please observe the policy on
>> open item ownership[1] and send a status update within three calendar days of
>> this message. Include a date for your subsequent status update. Testers may
>> discover new open items at any time, and I want to plan to get them all fixed
>> well in advance of shipping v10. Consequently, I will appreciate your efforts
>> toward speedy resolution. Thanks.
>>
>> [1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20170404140717.GA2675809%40tornado.leadboat.com
>
> This PostgreSQL 10 open item is past due for your status update. Kindly send
> a status update within 24 hours, and include a date for your subsequent status
> update. Refer to the policy on open item ownership:
> [...]

I'm not the owner of this item, but the current status is;

I've pushed several patches, and there is now only one remaining patch.
I posted the review comment on that patch, and I'm expecting that
Masahiko-san will update the patch. So what about waiting for the updated
version of the patch by next Monday (April 24th)?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao