Re: pause recovery if pitr target not reached

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Leif Gunnar Erlandsen <leif(at)lako(dot)no>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pause recovery if pitr target not reached
Date: 2019-10-21 06:44:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 4:46 AM Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 2019-09-17 13:23, Leif Gunnar Erlandsen wrote:
> > This patch allows PostgreSQL to pause recovery before PITR target is reached
> > if recovery_target_time is specified.
> >
> > Missing WAL's could then be restored from backup and applied on next restart.
> >
> > Today PostgreSQL opens the database in read/write on a new timeline even when
> > PITR tareg is not reached.
>
> I think this idea is worth thinking about. I don't think this should be
> specific to a time-based recovery target. This could apply for example
> to a target xid as well. Also, there should be a way to get the old
> behavior. Perhaps this whole thing should be a new
> recovery_target_action, say, 'pause_unless_reached'.

Probably we can use standby mode + recovery target setting for
the almost same purpose. In this configuration, if end-of-WAL is reached
before recovery target, the startup process keeps waiting for new WAL to
be available. Then, if recovery target is reached, the startup process works
as recovery_target_action indicates.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao