Re: pg_rewind failure by file deletion in source server

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_rewind failure by file deletion in source server
Date: 2015-06-24 03:48:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 3:36 AM, Michael Paquier
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 1:40 AM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>>> pg_read_binary_file() handles large files just fine. It cannot return more
>>> than 1GB in one call, but you can call it several times and retrieve the
>>> file in chunks. That's what pg_rewind does, except for reading the control
>>> file, which is known to be small.
>>
>> Yeah, you're right.
>>
>> I found that pg_rewind creates a temporary table to fetch the file in chunks.
>> This would prevent pg_rewind from using the *hot standby* server as a source
>> server at all. This is of course a limitation of pg_rewind, but we might want
>> to alleviate it in the future.
>
> This is something that a replication command could address properly.

>>> Yeah, that would definitely be nice. Peter suggested it back in January
>>> (http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/54AC4801.7050300@gmx.net). I think
>>> it's way too late to do that for 9.5, however. I'm particularly worried that
>>> if we design the required API in a rush, we're not going to get it right,
>>> and will have to change it again soon. That might be difficult in a minor
>>> release. Using pg_read_file() and friends is quite flexible, even though we
>>> just find out that they're not quite flexible enough right now (the ENOENT
>>> problem).
>>
>> I agree that it's too late to do what I said...
>>
>> But just using pg_read_file() cannot address the #2 problem that I pointed
>> in my previous email. Also requiring a superuser privilege on pg_rewind
>> really conflicts with the motivation why we added replication privilege.
>>
>> So we should change pg_read_file() so that even replication user can
>> read the file?
>
> From the security prospective, a replication user can take a base
> backup so it can already retrieve easily the contents of PGDATA. Hence
> I guess that it would be fine. However, what about cases where
> pg_hba.conf authorizes access to a given replication user via psql and
> blocks it for the replication protocol? We could say that OP should
> not give out replication access that easily, but in this case the user
> would have access to the content of PGDATA even if he should not. Is
> that unrealistic?

The most realistic case is that both source and target servers have
the pg_hba.conf containing the following authentication setting
regarding replication. That is, each server allows other to use the
replication user to connect to via replication protocol.

# TYPE DATABASE USER ADDRESS METHOD
host replication repuser X.X.X.X/Y md5

This case makes me think that allowing even replication user to
call pg_read_file() may not be good solution for us. Because
in that case replication user needs to log in the real database
like "postgres" to call pg_read_file(), but usually there would be
no entry allowing replication user to connect to any real database in
pg_hba.conf. So if we want to address this problem, replication
command version of pg_read_file() would be required. However,
that's too late to do for now...

>> Or replication user version of pg_read_file() should be implemented?
>
> You mean a new function? In what is it different from authorizing
> pg_read_file usage for a replication user?
>
> Honestly, I can live with this superuser restriction in 9.5. And come
> back to the replication user restriction in 9.6 once things cool down
> a bit.

Yeah, finally I agree with you. This seems only approach we can adopt
for now.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao