Re: Quorum commit for multiple synchronous replication.

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Vik Fearing <vik(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Quorum commit for multiple synchronous replication.
Date: 2016-12-20 14:47:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 2:46 PM, Michael Paquier
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 2:31 PM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Do we need to consider the sorting method and the selecting k-th
>> latest LSN method?
>
> Honestly, nah. Tests are showing that there are many more bottlenecks
> before that with just memory allocation and parsing.

I think that it's worth prototyping alternative algorithm, and
measuring the performances of those alternative and current
algorithms. This measurement should check not only the bottleneck
but also how much each algorithm increases the time that backends
need to wait for before they receive ack from walsender.

If it's reported that current algorithm is enough "effecient",
we can just leave the code as it is. OTOH, if not, let's adopt
the alternative one.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao