Re: Strange issues with 9.2 pg_basebackup & replication

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Joshua Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Strange issues with 9.2 pg_basebackup & replication
Date: 2012-05-17 16:27:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Joshua Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

>> > And: if we still have to ship logs, what's the point in even having
>> > cascading replication?
>>
>> At least cascading replication (1) allows you to adopt more flexible
>> configuration of servers,
>
> I'm just pretty shocked.  The last time we talked about this, at the end of the 9.1 development cycle, you almost had remastering using streaming-only replication working, you just ran out of time.  Now it appears that you've abandoned working on that completely.  What's going on?

You mean that "remaster" is, after promoting one of standby servers, to make
remaining standby servers reconnect to new master and resolve the timeline
gap without the shared archive? Yep, that's one of my TODO items, but I'm not
sure if I have enough time to implement that for 9.3....

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao