Re: BRIN is missing in multicolumn indexes documentation

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Petr Jediný <petr(dot)jediny(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BRIN is missing in multicolumn indexes documentation
Date: 2016-03-22 13:29:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 12:53 AM, Petr Jediný <petr(dot)jediny(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/indexes-multicolumn.html
> page doesn't mention BRIN support, but according to the
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/sql-createindex.html it is
> supported in multicolumn setup.
>
> The attached patch (git diff against master branch) fixes the omission
> and adds "Oxford comma" before "and" to unify the writing style with
> the style used in the "create index" documentation.

Good catch!

In addtion to your patch, we should add the description for
the multicolumn brin index, like the following one in the doc?

A multicolumn GIN index can be used with query conditions that
involve any subset of the index's columns. Unlike B-tree or GiST,
index search effectiveness is the same regardless of which index
column(s) the query conditions use.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao