Re: Table-level log_autovacuum_min_duration

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Table-level log_autovacuum_min_duration
Date: 2015-03-06 03:44:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 9:49 PM, Michael Paquier
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 7:10 PM, Fujii Masao wrote:
>> With the patch, VACUUM ANALYZE VERBOSE doesn't emit any verbose message.
>> Why did you remove that functionality?
>
> Oops. Sorry about that. In gram.y, the combination of VacuumStmt with
> AnalyzeStmt overwrote the value of log_min_duration incorrectly. I
> also found another bug related to logging of ANALYZE not working
> correctly because of the use of IsAutoVacuumWorkerProcess() instead of
> VACOPT_VERBOSE (this is reducing the diffs of the patch btw). All
> those things are fixed in the attached.

Thanks for updating the patch!

Why does log_min_duration need to be set even when manual VACUUM command is
executed? Per the latest version of the patch, log_min_duration is checked only
when the process is autovacuum worker. So ISTM that log_min_duration doesn't
need to be set in gram.y. It's even confusing to me. Or if you're going to
implement something like "VACUUM VERBOSE DURATION n" (i.e., verbose message
is output if n seconds have been elapsed), that might be necessary, though...

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao