Re: BUG #7534: walreceiver takes long time to detect n/w breakdown

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: Amit kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #7534: walreceiver takes long time to detect n/w breakdown
Date: 2012-10-01 16:57:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:
> Hmm, I think we need to step back a bit. I've never liked the way
> replication_timeout works, where it's the user's responsibility to set
> wal_receiver_status_interval < replication_timeout. It's not very
> user-friendly. I'd rather not copy that same design to this walreceiver
> timeout. If there's two different timeouts like that, it's even worse,
> because it's easy to confuse the two.

Agreed.

I'd like to specify the replication timeout like we do TCP keepalives, i.e.,
what about introducing something like following parameters?

walsender_keepalives_idle
walsender_keepalives_interval
walsender_keeaplives_count
walreceiver_keepalives_idle
walreceiver_keepalives_interval
walreceiver_keepalives_count

I believe many users are basically familiar with TCP keepalives and how to
specify it. So I think that this approach would be intuitive to users. Also
this approach includes your proposal. If you specify

walsender_keepalives_idle = walsender_timeout / 2
walsender_keepalives_interval = -1 (disable; Ping is never sent
again if there is no reply after first Ping is sent)
walsender_keepalives_count = 1

the replication timeout works as you proposed. But of course the downside
of this approach is that the number of parameter for replication timeout is
increased from two (replication_timeout and
wal_receiver_status_interval) to six,
and those parameters are confusingly similar to existing
tcp_keepalives parameters,
which might cause another confusion to users. One idea to solve this problem is
to use existing tcp_keepalives paramters values for the replication timeout.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao