Re: Online base backup from the hot-standby

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jun Ishiduka <ishizuka(dot)jun(at)po(dot)ntts(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: magnus(at)hagander(dot)net, heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, ssinger_pg(at)sympatico(dot)ca, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Online base backup from the hot-standby
Date: 2011-07-05 10:29:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2011/7/5 Jun Ishiduka <ishizuka(dot)jun(at)po(dot)ntts(dot)co(dot)jp>:

>> What about using backupStartPoint to check whether this recovery
>> started from the backup or not?
>
> No, postgres can check whether this recovery started from the backup
> or not, but can not check whether standby server or master (got backup
> from).

Oh, right. We cannot distinguish the following two cases just by using
minRecoveryPoint and backupStartPoint.

* The standby starts from the backup taken from the standby
* The standby starts after it crashes during recovering from the
backup taken from the master

As you proposed, adding new field which stores the backup end location
taken from minRecoveryPoint, into pg_control sounds good idea.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center