The return value of allocate_recordbuf()

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: The return value of allocate_recordbuf()
Date: 2014-12-26 07:31:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

While reviewing FPW compression patch, I found that allocate_recordbuf()
always returns TRUE though its source code comment says that FALSE is
returned if out of memory. Its return value is checked in two places, but
which is clearly useless.

allocate_recordbuf() was introduced by 7fcbf6a, and then changed by
2c03216 so that palloc() is used instead of malloc and FALSE is never returned
even if out of memory. So this seems an oversight of 2c03216. Maybe
we should change it so that it checks whether we can enlarge the memory
with the requested size before actually allocating the memory?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao