need of anonymous record

From: Peter Krauss <ppkrauss(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: need of anonymous record
Date: 2014-05-03 13:55:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

My notion of "anonymous record", and the need of this kind of "higher-order
type", are discussed in the links below,

http://stackoverflow.com/q/23439240
"Functions can not to *return individual items of a record*"

http://stackoverflow.com/q/21246201
"PostgreSQL v9.X have real '*array of record*' ?

The first question is about performance: "*returns table*" have the same
performance than "*returns record*"??
If "yes", the *record* datatype is somewhat outdated?

The second question/discussion shows a more deeper problem, where perhaps
the use of string index in array syntax (something like x['a']) would be a
good syntax solution.
Craig Ringer shows another suggestion in the (second) link.

I am new here, I do not know how, but I'm available to help... Can a future
version of PostgreSQL implement some solution?

Peter