Re: psql show URL with help

From: Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql show URL with help
Date: 2019-02-22 15:10:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Em sex, 22 de fev de 2019 às 11:55, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> escreveu:

> The syntax summary that psql is showing is for its own version, and
> I'd say the URL must be too. You can't even be sure that a corresponding
> URL would exist in another version, so blindly inserting the server's
> major version into a URL string that psql has doesn't seem like a bright
> idea.

I'm not suggesting that we replace version number using the latest
version URL. However, we could prevent URL to be shown if the version
mismatch. If psql wasn't backward compatible we shouldn't care but it
is. Someone could be confused as I said earlier.

--
Euler Taveira Timbira -
http://www.timbira.com.br/