Re: Sequential UUID Generation

From: Sehrope Sarkuni <sehrope(at)jackdb(dot)com>
To: Adam Brusselback <adambrusselback(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Uday Bhaskar V <uday(dot)bhaskar579(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sequential UUID Generation
Date: 2018-10-30 20:21:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I came across a project for time based UUID ("tuid") a little while back:
https://github.com/tanglebones/pg_tuid

I haven't used in production but skimmed through the code a bit out of
technical curiosity. It handles some of the expected edge cases for
backwards clock drift and concurrent generation.

The repo includes a PG extension and sample app code for generating tuids
in a couple languages as well as a pure-SQL one (though that one uses
random() rather than get_random_bytes() so I'd consider it more of an proof
of concept).

Regards,
-- Sehrope Sarkuni
Founder & CEO | JackDB, Inc. | https://www.jackdb.com/