Re: Proposal: Adding json logging

From: David Arnold <dar(at)xoe(dot)solutions>
To: Jordan Deitch <jd(at)rsa(dot)pub>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: Adding json logging
Date: 2018-04-15 15:04:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>A slightly larger lift would include escaping newlines and ensuring that JSON
output is always single lines, however long.

I think that's necessary, actually I was implicitly assuming that as a
prerequisite. I cannot imagine anything else beeing actually useful.

Alternatively, I'm sure logfmt has a well thought-through solution for that
:-)

> I would suggest that the community consider whether postgres will log
multidimensional data. That will weigh into the decision of json vs.
another format quite significantly. I am a fan of the json5 spec (
https://json5.org/), though adoption of this is quite poor.

What do you mean by multidimensional data? Arrays/maps?

I think there is no advantage of multidimensional vs prefixed flat logging
unless data structure gets really nastily nested.

What case where you thinking of?