Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication

From: Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication
Date: 2021-09-27 13:10:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

> I don't think there is one. I think the latest is what I posted in
> https://postgr.es/m/202109061751.3qz5xpugwx6w@alvherre.pgsql (At least I
> don't see any reply from Rahila with attachments after that), but that
> wasn't addressing a bunch of review comments that had been made; and I
> suspect that Amit K has already committed a few conflicting patches
> after that.
>
> Yes, the v5 version of the patch attached by Alvaro is the latest one.
IIUC, the review comments that are yet to be addressed apart from the
ongoing grammar
discussion, are as follows:

1. Behaviour on dropping a column from the table, that is a part of column
filter.
In the latest patch, the entire table is dropped from publication on
dropping a column
that is a part of the column filter. However, there is preference for
another approach
to drop just the column from the filter on DROP column CASCADE(continue to
filter
the other columns), and an error for DROP RESTRICT.

2. Instead of WITH RECURSIVE query to find the topmost parent of the
partition
in fetch_remote_table_info, use pg_partition_tree and pg_partition_root.

3. Report of memory leakage in get_rel_sync_entry().

4. Missing documentation

5. Latest comments(last two messages) by Peter Smith.

Thank you,
Rahila Syed