Re: Varying results when using merge joins over postgres_fdw vs hash joins

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Varying results when using merge joins over postgres_fdw vs hash joins
Date: 2017-09-20 16:42:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 9:35 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> TBH, the more I learn about ICU, the less faith I have in the proposition
> that it's going to fix anything at all for us in this area. It seems to
> be just about as squishy as glibc in terms of locale identification,
> if not worse.

That may be our fault, to a significant degree. Did you read my mail
from yesterday, over on the "CREATE COLLATION does not sanitize ICU's
BCP 47 language tags" thread? I think that we've been incorrectly
specifying the locale name that is passed to ucol_open() this whole
time. At least, for ICU versions prior to ICU 54. This will need to be
addressed very soon.

--
Peter Geoghegan