Re: HashAgg's batching counter starts at 0, but Hash's starts at 1.

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: HashAgg's batching counter starts at 0, but Hash's starts at 1.
Date: 2020-07-28 03:20:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 5:54 PM David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> hmm. I'm not sure. I think this should follow the same logic as what
> "Disk Usage" follows, and right now we don't show Disk Usage unless we
> spill. Since we only use partitions when spilling, I don't think it
> makes sense to show the estimated partitions when we don't plan on
> spilling.

I'm confused about what the guiding principles for EXPLAIN ANALYZE
output (text or otherwise) are.

> I think if we change this then we should change Disk Usage too.
> However, I don't think we should as Sort will only show "Disk" if the
> sort spills. I think Hash Agg should follow that.

I don't follow your remarks here.

Separately, I wonder what your opinion is about what should happen for
the partial sort related EXPLAIN ANALYZE format open item, described
here:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20200619040358.GZ17995%40telsasoft.com#b20bd205851a0390220964f7c31b23d1

ISTM that EXPLAIN ANALYZE for incremental sort manages to show the
same information as the sort case, aggregated across each tuplesort in
a fairly sensible way.

(No activity over on the incremental sort thread, so I thought I'd ask
again here, while I was reminded of that issue.)

--
Peter Geoghegan