Re: Deleting older versions in unique indexes to avoid page splits

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Deleting older versions in unique indexes to avoid page splits
Date: 2020-10-24 15:01:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 2:55 AM Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> The problem I highlighted is that the average UPDATE latency is x2
> what it is on current HEAD. That is not consistent with the reported
> TPS, so it remains an issue and that isn't obvious.

Why do you say that? I reported that the UPDATE latency is less than
half for the benchmark.

There probably are some workloads with worse latency and throughput,
but generally only with high contention/small indexes. I'll try to
fine tune those, but some amount of it is probably inevitable. On
average query latency is quite a lot lower with the patch (where it is
affected at all - the mechanism is only used with non-hot updates).

--
Peter Geoghegan