Re: Index corruption with CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Martín Marqués <martin(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Index corruption with CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY
Date: 2017-02-06 01:57:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 4:57 PM, Tomas Vondra
<tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> OTOH I disagree with the notion that bugs that are not driven by user
> reports are somehow less severe. Some data corruption bugs cause quite
> visible breakage - segfaults, immediate crashes, etc. Those are pretty clear
> bugs, and are reported by users.

I meant that I find the fact that there were no user reports in all
these years to be a good reason to not proceed for now in this
instance.

I wrote amcheck to detect the latter variety of bug, so clearly I
think that they are very serious.

--
Peter Geoghegan