Re: PostgreSQL <-> Babelfish integration

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Álvaro Hernández <aht(at)ongres(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL <-> Babelfish integration
Date: 2021-02-12 19:31:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 11:04 AM Álvaro Hernández <aht(at)ongres(dot)com> wrote:
> I'm sure if we embrace an open and honest conversation, we will be
> able to figure out what the integration costs are even before the source
> code gets published. As I said, this goes beyond the very technical
> detail of source code integration.

Perhaps that's true in one sense, but if the cost of integrating
Babelfish is prohibitive then it's still not going to go anywhere. If
it did happen then that would certainly involve at least one or two
senior community members that personally adopt it. That's our model
for everything, to some degree because there is no other way that it
could work. It's very bottom-up.

For better or worse, very high level discussion like this has always
followed from code, not the other way around. We don't really have the
ability or experience to do it any other way IMO.

> Waiting until the source code is
> published is a bit chicken-and-egg (as I presume the source will morph
> towards convergence if there's work that may be started, even if it is
> just for example for protocol extensibility).

Well, the priorities of Postgres development are not set in any fixed
way (except to the limited extent that you're on the hook for anything
you integrate that breaks). I myself am not convinced that this is
worth spending any time on right now, especially given the lack of
code to evaluate.

--
Peter Geoghegan