Re: 2018-03 Commitfest Summary (Andres #2)

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 2018-03 Commitfest Summary (Andres #2)
Date: 2018-03-01 23:16:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

()
On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 2:45 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> - "failed to find parent tuple for heap-only tuple" error as an ERRCODE_DATA_CORRUPTION ereport()
>
> NR. Should probably just get applied. Can't quite make myself care
> enough to interrupt right now.

Tom just committed this.

> - Convert join OR clauses into UNION queries
>
> NR. ~1 year old.
>
> Feature has been requested several times independently since. Patch
> has been rebased, but otherwise not meaningfully changed.
>
> I think some committers need to bite the bullet and review this one.

I think that this is really important, too. Greg Stark expressed
interest recently, in a thread where we asked about this topic without
actually being aware of the existence of the patch. Perhaps there is
some chance he'll help with it.

> - Incremental sort
>
> NR. This is a *very* old "patch" (obviously has evolved).
>
> Looks to be in a reasonable shape. This needs at the very least a few
> planner & executor skilled committer cycles to do a review so it can
> progress.

This one has been bounced way too many times already. I really hope it
doesn't fall through the cracks for v11.

> - Faster inserts with mostly-monotonically increasing values
>
> NR, patch from Dec, CF entry created Feb.
>
> Nice performance improvement. Hasn't gotten that much review, and it
> appears Peter Geoghegan has some correctness concerns. Not sure.

I think that the idea is basically sound, but I would like to see a
justification for not caching page LSN instead of testing if the leaf
page is still rightmost and so on. If the LSN changed, that means that
the cached block number is stale. That seems simpler, and more or less
matches what we already do within _bt_killitems().

> - hash joins with bloom filters
>
> NR, patch from 2018-02-20.
>
> This is a major new patch, arriving just before the last CF. I think
> this should be moved to the next fest.

I also think it should be bumped. I like this patch, but it's not
gonna happen for 11.

--
Peter Geoghegan