Re: pgsql: Avoid improbable PANIC during heap_update.

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Avoid improbable PANIC during heap_update.
Date: 2022-10-01 01:29:28
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 5:09 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> wrote:
> In any case we cannot really treat the information that we have about
> that as a bug report -- not as things stand. Why should the question
> of whether or not we ever set a page PD_ALL_VISIBLE without a cleanup
> lock on v13 be a mystery at all? Why wouldn't a simple grep get to the
> bottom of it? I have to imagine that the true explanation is very
> simple and boring.

I talked to Robins about this privately. I was wrong; there isn't a
simple or boring explanation.

Robins set out to find bugs like this in Postgres via stress-testing.
He used a lab environment for this, and was quite methodical. So there
is no reason to doubt that a PANIC happened on v13 at least once.
There must be some relatively complicated explanation for that, but
right now I can only speculate.

--
Peter Geoghegan