Re: Allow cancelling VACUUM of nbtrees with corrupted right links

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow cancelling VACUUM of nbtrees with corrupted right links
Date: 2018-06-27 20:02:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 12:52 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> A related question is if it matters - without complicating the code I
> don't see how we could release all the locks in that loop. Therefore no
> interrupts can be accepted. I hope I'm missing something?

I agree.

In general, page deletion is the most complicated part of nbtree
concurrency, by far (if we just had the basic L&Y, the concurrency
aspects would be far easier to grasp). Doing better in
_bt_unlink_halfdead_page() seems extremely difficult, and very
unlikely to be worthwhile.

--
Peter Geoghegan