Re: do only critical work during single-user vacuum?

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: do only critical work during single-user vacuum?
Date: 2021-12-21 04:52:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 20, 2021 at 8:40 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> BTW a vacuum automatically enters failsafe mode under the situation
> where the user has to run a vacuum in the single-user mode, right?

Only for the table that had the problem. Maybe there are no other
tables that a database level "VACUUM" will need to spend much time on,
or maybe there are, and they will make it take much much longer (it
all depends).

The goal of the patch is to make sure that when we're in single user
mode, we'll consistently trigger the failsafe, for every VACUUM
against every table -- not just the table (or tables) whose
relfrozenxid is very old. That's still naive, but much less naive than
simply telling users to VACUUM the whole database in single user mode
while vacuuming indexes, etc.

--
Peter Geoghegan